Skip to main content

Review - Star Wars: Zero Company... Totally Wizard, Ani

 
Image Credit: Bit Reactor

Star Wars is on a roll lately.
    I know that may seem like a tough pill to swallow for those who have been down on it since The Rise of Skywalker, but facts are facts. Whether it's in books, television, or gaming, the folks at Lucasfilm have found a niche that will help to drag them out of the proverbial muck.
    Star Wars: Zero Company starts us off in the boots of Hawks, a grizzled veteran who just wants to get this mercenary gig off to the right start. After a cut-short career in the Republic military, Hawks went into the private sector with the only skills that he (or she, if you prefer) excelled in. Combat.
    Down on their luck, Hawks and the members of Zero Company are desperate to get out from under the heel of Gorga the Hutt... Do Hutts have heels? I suppose not. They're just trying to get the gargantuan weight of crushing debt off of them. Maybe that's better. In order to do so, Hawks is willing to bend one of Zero Company's rules and work with the Republic that disgraced him in the past. The Republic is shelling out a lot of credits, as it is, and they've tossed a valuable resource into the mix by the name of Bennic. Alongside the Republic lieutenant, a former Separatist named Runa, a medically discharged clone called Trick, and a couple hard-boiled criminals in the form of Kabb and Neesh, Hawks decides to take a run at a Separatist splinter group called the Infinite Coil. Separating from the Separatists... how transcendent.
    The Infinite Coil isn't just on some next-level separation, though. They are working to bring about change in the entire galaxy. This comes from the heavy influence of the Coil's leader, Fathom, and the plague that she is desperate to introduce to as many people as possible. While the Republic is dealing with the tail end of the Clone Wars, it's up to Zero Company to take Fathom to task.

The Good

Oh man, where to begin?
    Let's start with the narrative.
    Star Wars: Zero Company has a strong start that gives a lot of reasons to love it. Hawks and the rest of Zero Company have fleshed out personalities and arcs that draw the player in from start to finish. What makes it so great is really the diversity in the bunch. Zero Company takes a note or two from Baldur's Gate III on this one. Each person takes up more than just an archetype. Kabb was a pro-boxer turned deadbeat dad. Cly is a Mandalorian badass hellbent on revenge. Luco matches Cly's need for vengeance, but as a Separatist he brings his own sense of vitriol about working alongside a clone. Trick doesn't really help matters much when he barely restrains himself from assaulting those he works alongside, either in the comms room or at the sabacc table. Jae is an heiress with a lot to prove, mostly to herself. And Tel is a padawan still coming to grips with the loss of her master. Together, they prove to be a formidable force, even with all the baggage they bring to the holotable. But that's not all. Zero Company really turns up the story to 11 in the second half, and I was absolutely blown away by the direction it took.
    Gameplay is great. I know the X-COM veterans at Bit Reactor were really just retooling some of the things that already worked well there, but they did it in such a way to keep things fresh and interesting. Also... not nearly as many preposterous misses and frustrating moments. Each character brings their own variety of skills to the table, and if you don't like them you're always able to go change things up back at the den when you're not waltzing around cracking wise and getting to know the crew a bit better.
    Audio-wise the game is fantastic. It has a great score that compliments its entirety, bringing us to the Star Wars universe with tracks that feel fresh and new while harkening back to A New Hope. The voice acting is a masterclass on its own. Matt Lanter shows up here. If you know who that is, then you know why it's a big deal. Oh, not enough? Dee Bradley Baker is also on the roster. Aside from the Clone Wars alumni, the others are also superb. This is especially true of Hawks... At least the male version, as I did not play the female one. He crushed every line and gave a strong delivery in the role of a grizzled veteran with a cynical attitude complimented by a dash of humor. It's hard to say whether Hawks would go down as the next Commander Shepard, but man I really did love him.
    Visually... stunning. I'm still pretty blown away at the level the graphics for a debut title from Bit Reactor. I should caveat that by noting that there were plenty of veterans on the team, there, but as I understand it they were straining their budget to do what they could. They nailed it with everything they could, and from the various clothing options for Hawks and company to the fidelity of General Skywalker's facial features... I'm impressed.

The Bad

Speaking of straining that budget, the fact that 80% of the developing team was furloughed in the weeks leading up to Zero Company's release is a travesty. That's honestly the only thing bad I have to say about Zero Company. Those who poured their blood and sweat into Bit Reactor's amazing IP should be reinstated with promises of great things in the future. A sequel, perhaps? Or at least some DLC... C'mon, guys. I'll even pre-order!

The Legend

If it isn't already obvious enough, I'm giving Zero Company the top score that I can. I loved every minute of it, and it's one of those games that I wish I could go back and play for the first time with fresh eyes. It's the best SW game that's come out since Knights of the Old Republic II, and if you know your gaming... that's saying quite a bit. There's a bright future ahead for Bit Reactor, as long as they trust in the force.

10/10
Legendary

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader... All Guts & Glory

Image courtesy of Owlcat Games "The God Emperor protects!" I know what you're thinking, but no, not that one.     Every so often, a game comes around that demands 10 to 15 hours of your time. This isn't one of them. Rogue Trader requires ten times that amount, easily, in order to see the story unfold in all the meaningful directions that it can.     I would like to preface my review by saying that I knew next to nothing about Warhammer 40K when I started up the game. I really only found myself drawn to the title because of my love for Owlcat's previous two entries in the Pathfinder world. That being said, Owlcat once again does a great job of putting the lore of their assigned universe into their work, and after 140 hours of gameplay I feel like I'm decently well-versed in plenty of the God-Emperor's vision of humanity's future. The Good Rogue Trader starts off where your main character is handed over the reins to the titular position by means of a...

Review - Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden ... Nice Shootin', Tex

  Image courtesy of Don't Nod Entertainment It's rare that a game will captivate me so thoroughly and profoundly. If you have already been here before, then you're probably well aware that I play quite a bit of games. From the ugly to the gorgeous, the trash to the glorious, they can cover the entire range of the gaming spectrum. Banishers is a game that is very clearly on one side.   Don't Nod's venture into the New World focuses on two characters who are as intertwined and in love as can be. Red Mac Raith and Antea Duarte are married in every sense of the word, as long as the word doesn't involve church bells and priestly ceremonies. They work together as banishers, a name given to those who expel ghosts and conquer hauntings in exchange for a bit of coin. They don't have Dandelion singing for everyone to toss a coin to their nearest banisher, but in this version of the 17th century they don't really need him. Everyone is well aware of what a banisher ...

Review - The Expanse: A Telltale Series... Bosmang for Beltalowda

  Image courtesy of Deck Nine and Telltale Games If you know anything about the show The Expanse , then you probably remember Camina Drummer as the no-nonsense take-charge from the Belt. She spends a lot of the series in the #2 role amongst the likes of Belter leaders, those bosmangs, like Anderson Dawes or Fred Johnson, but Drummer consistently shows that her leadership style of cutting through the bullshit and doing the heavy lifting from the front will one day place her as top dog. The Expanse: A Telltale Series displays that penchant for solid leadership even more.     Cara Gee returns to voice Drummer without skipping a beat in style, voice, and attitude in this prequel taking place around three years before the events of The Expanse 's first season. Drummer is the Executive Officer, there's that #2 again, on a scavenger ship called The Artemis that is exploring the solar system in search of salvage. They're hoping to hit a score big enough to let the entire crew liv...